Wednesday, April 16, 2014

24 weeks

Weekly Check-In
24 Weeks


Baby Salisbury is the size of a cantaloupe this week! 


Wow, I realized that I never did do my weekly update on Sunday. It totally slipped my mind! 
So here it is, better late than never. 


Baby is doing great! He's flipping around in there like no tomorrow. I can feel him a lot at certain times of the day and I think I've figured out his sleep pattern. He's really active in the early morning and late in the afternoon/early evening. Then he's pretty still at night and during the mid mornings/early afternoons while I'm at work. I like that I kind of know when he'll be moving. Like right now, for instance- 
He's going nuts in there. I love it. 

I'm so happy that he's okay in there. Every time I feel him, I'm reminded that he's there and he's (sorry to be blunt) alive. It's really nice to be able to have that reassurance. Especially after 3 losses. 
But even with the movement, there still comes times when I get really nervous. Today was one of those times. 

This past Monday at my routine doctors appointment, my doctor noted that my blood pressure was a little high and that my ankles were a bit swollen. Both are normal pregnancy symptoms, but they can also be symptoms of a larger problem; Preeclampsia or Toxemia. 

My doctor is especially vigilant of this condition with me because my older sister suffered from HELLP Syndrome with her last 2 pregnancies. 

So anyway, he told me to watch out for headaches or changes in my vision. As these can be symptoms, and he asked me to call him if I experienced either of these. 

Well, this morning I developed a headache. I powered through until lunch then I decided to call my doctor on my lunch break to give him a heads up and to keep him in the loop. I expected an "Okay, I'll give him the message" from the nurse, but instead I got "How close are you to town? Can you come in right now?" 

Say what, now? You need me to come in right now? Because I told you I have a headache?!


I may or may not have panicked a little bit. I didn't realize that having a headache would lead to a hospitalization! I quickly ditched my lunch plans (AKA going home and eating jasmine rice) and I called J and explained what was going on. He met me at the hospital and we went back to the OB so that they could monitor Baby and I. 

Well, 4 hours later, I learned that my blood pressure was fine (like perfectly normal). There was no protein in my urine. And that I wasn't having any contractions. 

So a nice, boring hospital visit. Thank God. 

I did have one interesting experience in the hospital though...
So I believe I previously mentioned that I have an anterior placenta. Which means that I haven't felt much movement from the Baby. Well today, while sitting in the hospital, I felt him move somewhere near my belly button. This has never happened to me before! Usually the only movement I feel is WAY down low (think groin region). But I felt him up high today! Annnnd when I stopped what I was doing to revel in the new sensation, I saw it. I mean, I literally saw him move. My tummy raised up exactly where he was kicking. 

Looks like I have a strong little man on my hands. 



I am so beyond grateful that I haven't developed toxemia (fingers crossed that I never will). I'm also glad that my doctor takes enough time and care to see me even if it turns out to be nothing. I have to say that I like his "better safe than sorry" approach. Big fan. 

So I guess that's it. My week hasn't been too entertaining other than today! 


Here's my 24 week bump picture! 



Thanks for stopping by! Have a marvelous week! 

-K


No comments:

Post a Comment