Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Diabeetus

Whelp...


Looks like I have Gestational Diabetes. Wonderful. 


So I pretty much knew it was coming...but it's not an easy pill to swallow. I mean, I'll do what I have to for this kid, but I'm not exactly excited about it. 

My doctor's nurse called me today, and apparently I bombed the 1 hour glucose test so bad that they don't want/need to waste time doing the usual follow-up 3 hour glucose test. So after being jerked around by our pharmacy a couple times (long story short- they're morons), I'm the "proud" owner of my very own glucose monitor! 

This is my life now-

Starting tomorrow, I have to do finger pricks to monitor my blood sugar 4 times a day. 
1. First thing in the morning before I eat/drink anything
2. Two hours after breakfast
3. Two hours after lunch
4. Two hours after dinner. 

I made J do a test prick so that he could tell me if it hurt. It looks pretty painless, but for some reason I'm terrified of this. 

When I was going through chemotherapy about 10 years ago, they had to do finger pricks on me sometimes and they freaking HURT. Or at least I think they hurt. It's entirely possible that I'm just psyching myself out. 

Anyway, I have to monitor my levels until my next appointment, where we'll decide if this can be managed by changing my diet, or if I'll need to start taking insulin. 

Cross your fingers for me! 
I'd cross my own, but after all the finger pricking, I'm sure they'll be too sore. 

-K 

P.S. Now all I can think about is Wilford Brimley...









No comments:

Post a Comment