Monday, May 19, 2014

29 Weeks

Weekly Check-In
29 Weeks


This week Baby Salisbury is the size of an Acorn Squash!



This past week has been CRAZY. Not in a really hectic way. . . but in the way that there just seems to be one thing after another piling up. 

Last Monday, as I was in the kitchen before work, I started to feel woozy. I've passed out before, so I kind of knew what was about to happen. I tried to get down to the floor before I could fall, but I didn't make it and ended up falling and smacking my head on the floor. We called the hospital, and they said that as long as I wasn't having concussion symptoms and as long as Baby was moving around, I would probably be fine. 

I took Monday off work to try and rest up and on Tuesday I made a second attempt at going to work. 
This time, I was driving (J drove seperately that morning) and I felt the tunnel vision start. I slowed WAY down to probably 10 mph or less and that's the last thing I remember. Next thing I know, I'm waking up with my car in a ditch and the front end through a barbed wire fence. 

I was really scared because I don't remember getting there. Luckily, one of J's old work buddies recognized our vehicle and pulled over to see if I was okay. He told me that he saw about 5 cars just drive right by me before he stopped. 

Nice.


So he called J for me and when he got there, he whisked me away to the hospital where I spent a wonderful morning/afternoon in Labor & Delivery being monitored. 

They ran a lot of tests. Full blood work, blood pressure, fetal monitoring, an EKG, urinalysis. 

Everything came back fine. I didn't pass out because of low blood sugar, or low blood pressure, or high blood pressure, or because my heart went wacky. I just passed out. Apparently this sort of thing can "just happen" to pregnant women sometimes. The baby may have been sitting on a nerve, or maybe my fluctuating hormones were just more than my body could keep up with? Who knows?

All I do know, is that now I'm banned from driving. Doctors orders. I'm not exactly excited about this...but again, I'll do what I have to do for this baby. 


Hmmm...what else? What else? Oh, yes...as of today, I'm officially on insulin for my Gestational Diabetes. 
At my last doctors appointment, I was prescribed a medication called Metformin to help lower my blood sugar, but it wasn't doing anything. My numbers were still high after almost 2 weeks of taking that stuff so my doctor decided that insulin is the way to go. 
I kind of knew it was coming, so it wasn't a shock. But I'll tell you what was a shock...the freaking price of insulin! Holy COW! 
We had to pay about $200 out of pocket for that stuff, even with insurance!
 I really hope that it lasts me until the end of this pregnancy. Because we just cannot afford that on a regular basis. 

Just add this to the list of things I'm not really excited about...

J had to give me my first shot because I'm a weenie and I can't stand the thought of sticking myself with a needle (even though it's tiny). I know I'll have to get over it soon...but not today. 
I've got to do 4 injections every day. 2 when I wake up before breakfast, 1 right before dinner and the last one right before bed. 

*sigh* 
It's not the end of the world. 
Not even close, but it just seems like one thing after the other these days. 
It's wearing on me a little bit. 

But hopefully this will be the last big surprise and I sincerely hope that this diabetes goes away after I give birth. *fingers crossed*


Anyway...in other news, J is wonderful! 
Look what he did for the baby's nursery!


I wish we had taken a 'before' picture because this thing was UGLY. It was painted a yucky brown color and it just looked worn down. 

J spent his last 4 weekends in my dad's shed working on it. He stripped off all the old paint and re-finished the natural wood. It's beautiful (and comfortable!) and I can't wait to rock our son to sleep in it. 
Love, love, love it. 


So, here's the belly...
We're getting there. Less than 3 months now! 
If I can just make it 8 more weeks, we'll be considered full-term and that would be good enough for me! 


Here's to hoping that next week will be better! 

-K


No comments:

Post a Comment